New Years Pensive, 2013 Edition
The New Year always offers such a nice, fresh start. A blank slate. New calendars, a few months with no plane tickets to buy, no approaching major holidays (or holiday parties). But I don’t exactly believe in New Years Resolutions. You can probably guess why. I don’t think I’ve ever made one that really worked. Often, my goals and resolutions are tied heavily to a season, a school year, a semester, or a show. But at this point in the year, I do like setting a few little goals for myself. Some specific, some general, some philosophical, some pragmatic.
At the risk of over-sharing, here’s a list of some little wants, needs, goals, and plans I have for the coming year.
- Cultivate a garden worthy of hobbits.
- Go outside every day (commuting and errands don’t count, no cheating).
- Explore salads.
- Don’t let the groundhog scarf up all the baby plants in the garden this year.
- Don’t freak out if the groundhog scarfs up all the baby plants in the garden this year.
- Join a CSA.
- Floss, dang it.
- Complete my watch-all-the-Disney-animated-features-in-chronological-order-of-release project (next up: Lady and the Tramp.)
- Learn to cook Swiss chard. Also, eggplant.
- Get. A. Passport.
- Give generously.
- Drive the Blue Ridge Parkway in October or BUST!
- Throw a Harry Potter theme party.
- Visit my sister.
- Write more.
- Read more.
- Laugh till I turn a little purple more.
- Call my grandmas more.
- Send fifty surprise letters.
- Don’t wish away any months, weeks, days, or hours. Each is rare if not unique.
That’s probably not all. But it feels like a start. Some things to look forward to.
What’s on your mind for 2013?